Five Recognized for Outstanding Performance
By by Tim Jones, Eastern Air Defense Sector
/ Published June 04, 2019
The 224th Air Defense Group recently presented service medals for outstanding performance to five New York Air National Guardsmen.
- Senior Master Sgt. James Burke, Meritorious Service Medal. A mission crew commander technician at the 224th Air Defense Squadron (ADS), Burke demonstrated outstanding leadership and operational knowledge during National Special Security Events, presidential flights and more than 30 exercises.
- Senior Master Sgt. Michael Roberts, Meritorious Service Medal. A mission crew commander technician with the 224th Air Defense Squadron, Roberts received the award for his outstanding leadership, training management and operational skill. Especially noteworthy were his contributions during nine North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) evaluations.
- Master Sgt. Shane Rude, Meritorious Service Medal. A member of the 224th Support Squadron’s Security Forces, Rude expertly managed the installation of electronic security enhancements and provided superior supervision and leadership as a flight commander.
- 2nd Lt. Philip Gentile, Air Force Commendation Medal. An air battle manager at the 224th Air Defense Squadron, Gentile received the medal for his work as a staff sergeant prior to becoming a commissioned officer. Gentile excelled in various operational qualifications and performed superbly during support missions for presidential flights. He also coordinated 148 training events, providing nearly 500 hours of instruction to 20 students.
- Tech. Sgt. Heather Johnson, Air Force Achievement Medal. An air surveillance technician with the 224th Air Defense Squadron, Johnson superbly sorted and validated more than 2,500 radar tracks of interest during EADS’ enforcement of 31 temporary flight restrictions. She also instructed during 28 alert operations, conducting more than 500 hours of training.
The 224th Air Defense Group (ADG) is composed of the 224th Air Defense Squadron and 224th Support Squadron, located in Rome, and Detachment 1 and Detachment 2 that serve in the Washington, D.C. area. The 224th ADG provides the forces to conduct the Eastern Air Defense Sector’s (EADS) mission. Part of the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), the Sector is responsible for the air defense of the eastern U.S.
For more information about the New York Air National Guard, visit www.dmna.ny.gov. For more information on the 224th Air Defense Group and the Eastern Air Defense Sector, visit www.eads.ang.af.mil.